Sunday 1 April 2012

Tattoos of the day

A few questions with Arnold Van der Walt

1. What is your current occupation?


I am currently a student at the University of Stellenbosch studying journalism.

2. What is the reason for you deciding to get a tattoo or tattoos?

I have wanted tattoos for a couple of years now (since school) and it
was simply a matter of time before I got the right choice.

3. Tell me about your tattoo/s and the symbolic or personal meaning behind them?

The words "Kan jy jou idee van normaal by jou gat op druk?", loosely
translates to "can you shove your idea of normal up your ass?". It's
also lyrics from a song and the meaning I attach to it, is the whole
idea of normal. For example, who decides what is 'normal' and why
should we always adhere to it?

4. Do you think in 40 years time you would still love your ink?

Yes, definitely. A tattoo captures what you felt at a certain time of
your life and what was most important to you. One day I'll be able to
look back and relive the memories.

5. Do you think tattoos have become more of a trend than it being
something with meaning or a way of expression?

That certainly seems to be the norm, nowadays. I believe tattoos
should have deep meaning that lies close to your heart or as a means
to express ones individuality. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment